Re: [DOC] About Lisp Data Types

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: [DOC] About Lisp Data Types
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 2021 16:49:10 +0200

Kevin Vigouroux via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:

> Yes, I'll give you that, but you didn't quite get what I meant or the
> whole point.
>
> The expression “... and vice versa” implies that a conversion is
> performed but the Lisp objects normally remain as is. One conversion is
> really done by Emacs Lisp (Lisp reader) but the other one makes sense
> for the mind (Lisp printer) ; it is not commutative.

No, lisp printer prints actual lisp objects to strings. Which you can
even read back with lisp reader :). So it's  not just "in mind", if I
understand correctly what you mean. Docs says explicitly what lisp
reader and printer refers to, nothing is left to imagination, docs are
perfectly clear in that regard.

> What I am trying to say is that we have the common syntax, expression,
> and evaluation, but without the thought process.

I am not sure what do you thing with "but without the thought
process". Some people indeed avoid to use their brains, but I guess that
is not what you mean? :). Just kidding, I don't understand what you
mean there.