Re: Email Help

From: Leo Butler
Subject: Re: Email Help
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2021 13:34:08 -0500

Jason Sanroma <jason@sanroma.net> writes:

> I've reattached the .gnus file does this look good?

Almost. Change .authinfo.gpg to .authinfo since you have not encrypted
the file (ignore this advice if you are actually using an encrypted file
and sent an unencrypted simulacrum).

>> This tells Gnus to *read* from the news.gmane.io news site and from
>> gmail. The only tricky part is the encrypted authinfo file. To get
>> started, I suggest changing "~/.authinfo.gpg" to the unencrypted
>> "~/.authinfo". The format of .authinfo is documented in the Gnus manual:
>> each line is of the form

>> E.g.
>>
>> machine imap.gmail.com login someone@gmail.com password myweakpassword port
>> 993

> I attached a .authinfo.gpg file copy is this correct?

Almost. You should change its name to .authinfo (since it is not
encrypted). And the line is missing the port information (see my example
a few lines above).

> When I try to "Get Mail" it just says "No Mail" It also says "RMAIL"
> on the bottom left, is that correct?

No. Emacs has two email clients, Rmail and Gnus. It sounds like Rmail is
being started by "Get Mail".

To try out Gnus with your new configuration, start a fresh emacs
instance and type

M-x gnus RET

(remember the conventions we discussed last email).

Please report back.

Best,
Leo