Re: Gnus Emacs Header

From: Leo Butler
Subject: Re: Gnus Emacs Header
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 20:50:53 -0500

Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:

> Leo Butler wrote:
>
>> (setq gnus-posting-styles
>>        '((".*"
>>           (name "Your Name")
>>           (address "your@email.address")
>>           (signature-file "~/.signature")
>>           (X-Message-SMTP-Method "smtp smtp.gmail.com 587
>> some.one@gmail.com"))))
>
> You don't seem to need that for the signature at least.

The OP asked about setting up Gnus with gmail while sending email from
somewhere else. Introducing gnus-posting-styles seems like the most
economical way to deal with such a setup. Although, yes, with just one
account there are "easier" ways to do this. But, my experience was the
easier way hindered my use and enjoyment of Gnus at some point.

> You can still use `gnus-posting-styles' for the signature tho,
> or signatures I should say, if you would like different
> signatures for say different mailing lists/newsgroups ...

Yes, and X-Message-SMTP-Method for different accounts to send from.

Leo