In search for an emacs hacker

From: Vitus Schäfftlein
Subject: In search for an emacs hacker
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2021 17:52:43 +0200

Hey, folks!

tl;dr looking to hire an emacs hacker who helps me change emacs to make it work for academics.

I've been using emacs for about a month now and have started realizing how great it is! I really like that you can do basically anything with it, and I have noticed the huge potential emacs has for academics (I'm thinking of org-ref, org-roam-(bibtex), org-noter, pdftools, org-transclude,  and of course the LaTeX-export functionality of org-mode). I have the deep desire to trash all proprietary software that is used at the university (above all, Adobe Reader DC) and use emacs instead, and I want other academics to do it, too. I think academia should be least dependent on big companies and support FOSS projects.

The problem about all this is that, at the moment, it is frustrating to use emacs for all this. I got errors all the time which have costed me days of my time and probably quite some hair already. Often times, functions do not work as they should or functionality that is needed for a good workflow is not implemented. Getting things to run on windows, which most people use, is a pain on its own. For this reason, I want to create my own blog on which I explain how to use emacs as an academic. Now these people aren't emacs programmers and neither am I (I know how to set variables, key-bind functions, and some very basic lisp, but that's it), so my goal is to (1) provide simple step-by-step-instructions to get everything running smoothly and (2) describe in detail how an emacs workflow for academics can look like. My big dream is to eventually create something like doom emacs or spacemacs, but for academics. Functions and key-bindings should closely resemble those of programs academics usually use.

Before that happens, though, I need to get everything running smoothly first, and I openly admit I am simply not capable of this. I have been working with a great emacs hacker <https://github.com/alezost> before and got quite some things done already. For example, we have created a minor mode which overlays citations in APA-Style <https://github.com/alezost/org-ref-prettify.el>, changed magic latex buffer so that it is better suited for writing math/logic in it and configured org-mode to create awesome-looking PDFs. Unfortunately, though, Alex has his focus on other projects now, so I am all alone again. For this reason, I am looking for someone who is willing to help me with my project and some things I would like to have changed for my own sake. Of course, they will be paid, but I am a student paying out of his own pocket so my financial resources are limited (i can send you 150$ for a bigger task, but not 1500$...).

Is there an emacs hacker out here who is convinced that emacs should be used by academics, too, and who wants to support this cause while earning some money on the way? If so, please get in touch with me!

Best regards,

Vitus