Re: The definition of orig-fn.

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: The definition of orig-fn.
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2021 11:43:47 +0200

>> No, not necessarily.  One could use prefixes generated by the DeBruijn
>> sequence, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Bruijn_sequence.
>>
>> The avy package supports an `avy-style' called `'de-bruijn', and then
>> you can get unique sequences triggering an action for any alphabet (like
>> the digits).  Of course, that means that all candidates will get a
>> "shortcut" of the same length, i.e., with just the letters 0 and 1
>> available, you could select between 4 candidates using shortcut
>> sequences 00, 01, 10, and 11.
>
> Without further keyboard remapping, this scheme will require at least
> two keystrokes to complete a candidate insertion. I think abo-abo's
> customized function is just for solving this type of problem: One
> keystroke for one candidate insertion.

Yes, that's a tradeoff.  With De Bruijn, you can make as many candidates
as you need selectable but of course each key sequence becomes longer
the more candidates and the smaller the alphabet (set of keys allowed
for candidate selection).  With just the digits 0-9, you can only make
10 selectable.

Bye,
Tassilo