Re: User setup for emacs

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: User setup for emacs
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2021 18:45:03 +0200

tolugboji wrote:

>> Your posts don't look good BTW ...
>
> I work to improve them and for others to find useful
> information. I do not see that emacs provides a .emacs
> dering installation.

It doesn't if you by installation mean the placing of binaries
etc in $PATH directories and such stuff ...

But I like it that way, I don't like when Emacs adds stuff to
my init files and I see no advantage of that, on the contrary
I'd keep that human/computer separation clean.

Also I have no idea why this "has to" be the way it is but
with this at least I don't have to see it

  (setq custom-file "~/ooa/dork.elc")

I don't even use custom so why can't that be opted out
completely? Or can it? Apologies if so ...

> The article claims that the latest way to include
> customisations is via ~/.emacs.d/init.el rather than using
> ~/.emacs. Is this claim correct?

Well, to me the init files were just files, the only thing
setting .emacs apart is that Emacs by default looks for it,
i.e., looks for a file located in $HOME with that name.
But I don't know, maybe there is indeed a policy which is
wholly or in part enforced somehow with respect to specific
files ...

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal