Re: RTL lines

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: RTL lines
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 16:18:11 +0300

> From: Alexandre Garreau <galex-713@galex-713.eu>
> Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 14:40:42 +0200
>
> Is there a var to make any line whose first either rtl or ltr char is RTL
> be displayed RTL (so for instance an org-mode definition list (with ::)
> would be displayed RTL with the bullets at right, if the defining terms (at
> the beginning, just after the */+/-/etc.) are in arabic/hebrew/etc.)?

Set bidi-paragraph-direction to the nil value.  It's a per-buffer
variable.

> Another idea I have is is there a way to do that per-paragraph (for
> instance for a defun that would use a such language)?

The above will do that per paragraph.  That is, each paragraph will be
LTR or RTL depending on the first "strong directional" character in
that paragraph.

(This all is supposed to be well documented in the Emacs manual.
Hint, hint...)

> and arbitrarily (for direction-agnostic languages such as some extreme-
> oriental ones)?

I don't think I understand what kind of "arbitrariness" you have in
mind here.

> and does emacs support TTB/BTT (top to bottom, bottom to top)

No.  if you want to submit patches to that effect,l they will be most
welcome, though.