Re: Too long completion delay time in LISP interaction mode.

From: Hongyi Zhao
Subject: Re: Too long completion delay time in LISP interaction mode.
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2021 13:29:29 +0800

On Wed, Oct 20, 2021 at 1:08 PM Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> wrote:

> Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > On Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS, I'm using the self compiled Emacs git master
> > version. I find there is a very long completion delay time in LISP
> > interaction mode. For example, when I type `(map)' in scratch buffer,
> > there will have 5070 candidates as shown in the attached file, and the
> > completion delay is about 2-5 seconds.
> >
> > Any hints to improve this phenomenon?
>
> First, I'd try to isolate where the slowdown happens.  The screenshots
> suggests you are using company-mode with custom hacks to get the
> numbering of candidates and you are using some fuzzy completion-style.
>
> So I'd start with emacs -Q and typing (map<TAB> in *scratch* to get the
> *Completions* buffer.  That will probably be fast but deliver less
> results because of the default value of `completion-styles'.  Then I'd
> try out your settings of `completion-styles' (and

`C-h o completion-styles RET'

completion-styles is a variable defined in ‘minibuffer.el’.

Its value is (hotfuzz)
Original value was
(basic partial-completion emacs22)

> `completion-category-overrides' if you have customized that).

`C-h o completion-category-overrides RET'

completion-category-overrides is a variable defined in ‘minibuffer.el’.

Its value is nil

>  Then again with `company-mode' but first without the numbering hack, and
> eventually with it.  At which step does it become slow?
>
> Also, using the profiler might shed some light on where the time is
> spent, see (info "(elisp) Profiling").

`M-x profiler-start RET cpu and mem RET'

Typeset (map) in scratch buffer, and then

`M-x profiler-report RET', gives the following results:

   262,542,852  87% - command-execute
    262,542,852  87%  - funcall-interactively
    262,538,196  87%   - counsel-M-x
    262,538,196  87%    - let
    262,355,940  87%     - ivy-read
    262,355,940  87%      - apply
    262,354,884  87%       + #<lambda 0x1b9d5ef2eb92a3f2>
        182,256   0%     + counsel--M-x-externs
          4,656   0%   + self-insert-command
     36,160,744  12% + company-post-command
        368,131   0% + redisplay_internal (C function)
        135,480   0% + timer-event-handler
          7,442   0% + eldoc-pre-command-refresh-echo-area
          2,640   0% + highlight-parentheses--initiate-highlight
          2,112   0% + jit-lock--antiblink-post-command
          1,056   0% + company-pre-command

HZ