Re: Too long completion delay time in LISP interaction mode.

From: Hongyi Zhao
Subject: Re: Too long completion delay time in LISP interaction mode.
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2021 17:17:18 +0800

On Wed, Oct 20, 2021 at 3:42 PM Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> wrote:

> Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> writes:
>
> >> To be frank, I don't know how to expand it.
> >
> > Shame on me. It can be expanded by clicking the + sign again and
> > again.
>
> Hehe. :-)
>
> > See the following:
> >
> >          495  86% - command-execute
> >          495  86%  - funcall-interactively
> >          487  85%   - counsel-M-x
> >          487  85%    - let
> >          458  80%     - ivy-read
> >          458  80%      - apply
> >          454  79%       - #<lambda 0x1de0670da47deef2>
> >          454  79%        - let*
> >          454  79%         - progn
> >          454  79%          - progn
> >          454  79%           - let*
> >          404  70%            - ivy--reset-state
> >          404  70%             - let*
> >          404  70%              - let
> >          344  60%               - if
> >          340  59%                - progn
> >          340  59%                 - setq
> >          336  58%                  - sort
> >          308  54%                   - ivy-prescient-sort-function
> >          264  46%                    - prescient-sort-compare
>
> So here you can see that prescient seems to have quite some impact on
> sorting the candidates for M-x.

I use the following prescient relevant configuration:

;;https://github.com/daviwil/emacs-from-scratch/wiki/LSP-Python-(pyright)-config-in-emacs-from-scratch#prescient
(use-package prescient
  :diminish
  :config
  (prescient-persist-mode)
  )

;;https://github.com/daviwil/emacs-from-scratch/wiki/LSP-Python-(pyright)-config-in-emacs-from-scratch#prescient-1
(use-package company-prescient
  :init (setq
;;https://github.com/company-mode/company-mode/issues/1141#issuecomment-884570548
         company-prescient-sort-length-enable nil)
  :config
  (company-prescient-mode 1)
  )

;;https://github.com/abo-abo/swiper/issues/2899#issuecomment-890300284
(use-package ivy-prescient
  :init
  (setq prescient-filter-method '(literal fuzzy regexp initialism)
    ;;https://github.com/raxod502/prescient.el#ivy-specific
        ivy-prescient-enable-filtering nil)
  :config

;;https://github.com/daviwil/emacs-from-scratch/wiki/LSP-Python-(pyright)-config-in-emacs-from-scratch#prescient
  (ivy-prescient-mode 1) ; According to my attempt, use this
configuration in :init will defeat swiper
  )
--8<---------------cut here---------------end------------->8---

> >           65  11% - ...
> >           44   7%  - completion-all-completions
> >           44   7%   - completion--nth-completion
> >           44   7%    - completion--some
> >           44   7%     - #<compiled 0x194abcb52c81cd5e>
> >           44   7%      - orderless-all-completions
> >           44   7%       - let
> >           44   7%        - orderless-filter
> >           44   7%         - let
> >           44   7%          - unwind-protect
> >           44   7%           - progn
> >           44   7%            - let*
> >           44   7%             - progn
> >           44   7%              - let*
> >           44   7%               - let
> >           44   7%                - let*
> >           44   7%                   progn
>
> And the above is the actual "(map" completion part which seems to be
> dominated by the orderless style.  So I guess you've now replaced
> hotfuzz with orderless, right?

To be frank, due to my negligence, I've set orderless first and then
hotfuzz in the init.el file at the same time. The following is the
configuration of orderless:

(use-package orderless
  :init (icomplete-mode)
  :custom (completion-styles '(orderless)))

After I disabled the hotfuzz, the orderless comes into play. But
fortunately, it seems that orderless doesn't have so much penalty on
performance. For convenience's sake, I decided to stick with it.

HZ