Re: Noob dumb question (extending emacs)

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: Noob dumb question (extending emacs)
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2021 01:50:44 +0700

On Sat, 23 Oct 2021 at 00:55, Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> wrote:

> For people interested, manual explains about randomity:
> (info "(elisp) Random Numbers")
>
> How I understand it, than it may be that neither `pwgen' is generating
> truly random numbers.

Inspecting the source shows pwgen uses /dev/urandom if available, and
/dev/random otherwise, and all bytes of the password come from one of
those sources. These are

On the other hand, the manual for Emacs ‘random’ says:

    A deterministic computer program cannot generate true random numbers.
    For most purposes, “pseudo-random numbers” suffice.

Spoiler: secure password generation is not one of those purposes.