Re: Generic functions: Specializers like `or' or `memq'?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Generic functions: Specializers like `or' or `memq'?
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2021 05:01:47 +0100

Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor wrote:

>> This is not standard CLOS parlance, because CLOS does not include
>> a mechanism to define new kinds of specializers: you can dispatch on
>> (eql <VAL>) and you can dispatch on types and that's that (tho IIRC, you
>> can actually extend it via the MOP, potentially with the help of some
>> details of your Common-Lisp implementation).
>
> BTW, I took the term "generalizer" from the following article (from
> which I drew a fair bit of inspiration when designing `cl-generic.el`):
>
>     Generalizers: New metaobjects for generalized dispatch
>     http://research.gold.ac.uk/9924/1/els-specializers.pdf

Ah you see... I said it smells like OO spirit. No one likes OO
and everyone likes "functional programming". Well, can you
program as well? It's ridiculous to the point that we should
boast we had it long before and it was functional even then.

Call me poison!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzBel5-CADE

--
underground experts united