Re: non word abbrevs

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: non word abbrevs
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2021 05:11:57 +0100

Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:

>> On Nov 7, 2021, at 12:15, Stefan Monnier via Users list for
>> the GNU Emacs text editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> wrote:
>
>> Not completely: the original motivation for adding that `:regexp`
>> keyword was to handle abbrevs of the form "`foo" as well as others of
>> the form "foo/bar" ;-)
>
> And the overall feature seems severely under-documented...
> Honestly, I barely understood your explanations...

It doesn't execute if the last char is for example a dash ...

Try an abbrev that is "a-b" (not "a to b", the chars a, dash,
and b), the "a-b" abbrev will work as b is the last char, not
the dash this time.

(dash is "HYPHEN-MINUS" officially :))

> Maybe expecting to have abbrevs work way was a mistake, but
> it does not seem possible to have (easy...) arbitrary string
> expansion in out-of-the-box-emacs without abbrevs.

It is easy! Try setup an abbrev that is "aaaz" to "bbbz", with
the punctuation chars it doesn't work since it doesn't
trigger, that's a bug, good work YOU for finding it! Your code
works fine with "aaaz" to "bbbz", well, details aside since
you tried to do something else.

> Would there be another more idiomatic way ?

No, you did it the right way, Emacs did it the wrong way, but
as long as we have our captain going at - I don't know how
many percent? - but surely plenty enough to fix these kind of
bugs :)

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal