Re: Windows10 with MSYS2 shell: Can't erase directories from Emacs' git

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Windows10 with MSYS2 shell: Can't erase directories from Emacs' git repo tree
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2021 23:34:51 +0100

"H. Dieter Wilhelm" <dieter@duenenhof-wilhelm.de> writes:

>   git
>    - master
>       - admin
>          - nt
>             - dist-build
>
> I had a complete Emacs branch under master/, created by git worktree,
> changed one file under dist-build/ (without comitting).  Then I wanted
> to get rid of the complete repository and tried to erase the git/
> folder.  I can't remember if I tried it first in dired (likely) or in
> the MSYS2 shell.
>
> All files and some folders are removed, only the folders which were
> leading to the changed file are intact but I can't remove any of these
> remaining folders!

Did you reboot the machine since? Either reboot the machine or check
that you don't have any leftover running processes from the build.
Windows won't delete a file that is opened by a process, or a directory
that is the working directory of a process.

Exit any MSYS2, CMD or Emacs shell, launch the Task Manager and in the
Details pane look for instances of `make', `gcc', `sh', `bash', `cmd',
`git', etc. Kill those processes and try removing the problematic
file/folder from Windows Explorer.