Windows10 VM installation: Re: Windows10 with MSYS2 shell: Can't erase d

From: H. Dieter Wilhelm
Subject: Windows10 VM installation: Re: Windows10 with MSYS2 shell: Can't erase directories from Emacs' git repo tree
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2021 07:50:29 +0100

Phillip Lord <phillip.lord@russet.org.uk> writes:

> "H. Dieter Wilhelm" <dieter@duenenhof-wilhelm.de> writes:
>> Hello
>>
>> I created a git clone of the sources, added some worktrees, changed the
>> contents of one file.  And decided to start anew but now I can't delete
>> all folders of the repo, Windows says I would need admin rights to
>> remove the remaining folders!  (The files in the tree are gone but not
>> all folders.)  When I'm looking at the properties of the remaining
>> folders it says they are all write protected and nobody is allowed to
>> remove the folders!  It seems the only thing I can do it to rename these
>> folders.
>>
>> Is this a known problem with Windows10?
>
> I've only ever built Emacs as admin user (I use a bespoke single purpose
> VM, so it's fine), so I have never seen this problem, but wouldn't have.

Thank you for the hint.

I tried to do the compiling on a workstation of my company because it
runs, usually, 24/7.  Now I think the idea with a private VM is better
from a legal point of view.  Please tell me how to get a source medium
for such an installation?  My wife owns a Windows10 laptop but I don't
know how to bring a copy to my GNU-Linux system.

I'm only using Windows because I'm forced to (for some years to come),
so I'm not so knowledgeable in this regard.

          Dieter
--
Best wishes
H. Dieter Wilhelm