Re: FWD: Explanation Request for the Function set-transient-map in subr.

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: FWD: Explanation Request for the Function set-transient-map in subr.el
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2021 18:13:30 -0500

>> It checks whether the user used one of the bindings from the `map` as
>> opposed to one of the bindings from other active keymaps (e.g. the> global
>> map).
> set-transient-map uses interal-push-map to modify
> overriding-terminal-local-map, so I assume you can call another command that
> uses set-transient-map on top of a previous one and they stack?

Indeed, tho it's rather uncommon.

> Should isearch also use that function to modify o-t-l-m? Because is
> currently uses setq nil on the map while exiting and nukes the whole
> thing...

You can try, but interaction between different `set-transient-map` can
be tricky.  IIRC it works better is they nest properly, and since
Isearch tends to run for a long time it's probably fine to nest
a `set-transient-map` during Isearch, but nesting an Isearch during
another `set-transient-map` is likely to work rather poorly.

        Stefan