(void-function nil) error; possible company issue?

From: Arash Esbati
Subject: (void-function nil) error; possible company issue?
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2021 12:49:37 +0100

Hi all,

I'm facing a hard-to-reproduce issue with Emacs (29.0.50) where I get
the error (void-function nil) and after that, Emacs doesn't take
keyboard input (e.g. C-x C-c) anymore and I have to kill it from the
shell.  I suspect it has something to do with company.  This is the last
incarnation while I was about to insert '(def' in emacs-lisp mode.

PNG image

I have now disabled company in my init file to see if this will come
back (I had disabled company-quickhelp but the issue came back).  But
until then, have other company users seen this issue?

I use(d) only company and company-quickhelp; these are the entries in my
.emacs:

    (setq company-global-modes '(not latex-mode))
    (add-hook 'after-init-hook 'global-company-mode)
    (company-quickhelp-mode)

These are the versions installed from MELPA:

    company             20211112.2354
    company-quickhelp   20211115.1335

Best, Arash