Re: Someone start maintaining luddites.el

From: Yuan Fu
Subject: Re: Someone start maintaining luddites.el
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2021 13:49:35 -0800

> On Dec 29, 2021, at 3:41 AM, Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net> wrote:
>
> Fu Yuan <casouri@gmail.com> writes:
>
>>> 在 2021年12月28日,上午11:37,Teemu Likonen <tlikonen@iki.fi> 写道:

>>> Maybe don't ask other people (Emacs developers) to do things for you.
>>> Create and maintain an Emacs package which keeps current and future
>>> Emacses just like "in the old days." The package wouldn't do much, just
>>> gradually add configuration options which disable everything new. I
>>> wouldn't use it myself but I think some/many people would be grateful.
>>> Name it luddites.el, or something.
>>>
>> I think similar thing has been brought up when we were discussing
>> changing defaults in new Emacs, but I don’t remember the
>> conclusion. Were there any problems with it, is anyoneworking on that?
>
> I started working on something like this a few months back, and it
> should be possible.  The had part it tracking down all the changes.

I think one only needs to go over the NEWS before each release and add changed
defaults. Emacs doesn’t change default values very often, most of the change in
NEWS are additions.

It’s good to hear you are working on this! Maybe my version could provide a
different angle or some news ideas to you:

Yuan