Re: Dired command on same host

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Dired command on same host
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2022 11:40:58 +0100

Manuel Giraud <manuel@ledu-giraud.fr> writes:

Hi Manual,

> To adress Tassilo remark, maybe it should make a hash of «some known»
> file too to ensure that this is the correct host B. Or maybe this is too
> much.

Well, a better check would be whether a given host name resolves to the
same IP address, taking into account also ssh's config via the "Host"
option. Don't know how hard this is.

And even this isn't bullet-proof. Due to network configuration, hostB
could resolve to different addresses on my local machine and on hostA,
although it is still the same machine.

And no, I don't want to start comparision of different machine uuids or
so.

Best regards, Michael.