Re: Calling universal-argument with overriding-local-map

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Calling universal-argument with overriding-local-map
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2022 13:46:32 -0500

> And they seem to behave that way.  Should I send this contradiction in
> manual as a bug?  Has this always been the behavior or when did it
> change?  I presume it used to be that both could be active, otherwise
> the site from the link and manual has always been wrong.

The code says:

    if (!NILP (olp)
        /* The doc said that overriding-terminal-local-map should
           override overriding-local-map.  The code used them both,
           but it seems clearer to use just one.  rms, jan 2005.  */
        && NILP (KVAR (current_kboard, Voverriding_terminal_local_map))
        && !NILP (Voverriding_local_map))
      keymaps = Fcons (Voverriding_local_map, keymaps);

It seems the doc isn't clear cut and there's not much more info to
accompany this commit d64cdc59724b7caca47913d5beb2b4a54f7b7c91.
I you want to change this behavior (or fix/improve the doc)
I recommend you `M-x report-emacs-bug`.

        Stefan