Re: Running Emacs in an MSYS2 shell (or terminal?)

From: H. Dieter Wilhelm
Subject: Re: Running Emacs in an MSYS2 shell (or terminal?)
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2022 20:31:04 +0100

Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es> writes:

> "H. Dieter Wilhelm" <dieter@duenenhof-wilhelm.de> writes:
>
>> when starting Emacs with
>>
>>   $ ./emacs.exe -nw
>>
>> it says
>>
>>   emacs: standard input is not a tty.
>>
>> and "emacsclient.exe -nw" is creating a new frame.
>>
>> What can I do to use emacs.exe or emacsclient.exe in such a shell
>> without starting a new frame?
>
> MSYS2/Cygwin console is not a proper console as far as windows "native"
> executables are concerned. If you insist on running MinGW-w64 Emacs on
> it, try this:
>
> $ pacman -S winpty
> $ winpty ./emacs -nw

Great Óscar! Thank you. :-)

(Even though I couln't even type C-x C-c any more, had to close emacs
 from the menu. :-) )

Unfortunately even winpty is not working for

$ winpty ./emacsclient.exe -nw

it still opens a new frame!?  At least with emacs-28.0.91 build from
Corwin (there are warning, two DLLs are missing).  If you think it is
worthwhile to check with Emacs-27.2, I'll do this tomorrow?

   Dieter
--
Best wishes
H. Dieter Wilhelm