Re: Org-mode shell SRC block under Windows

From: H. Dieter Wilhelm
Subject: Re: Org-mode shell SRC block under Windows
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2022 14:15:08 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: "H. Dieter Wilhelm" <dieter@duenenhof-wilhelm.de>
>> Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2022 21:37:25 +0100
>>
>> Hello
>>
>> I'd like to use an MSYS or MingW shell rather than the default shell
>> (com) for
>>
>> #+begin_src sh
>> echo $SHELL
>> #+end_src
>
> See explicit-shell-file-name (assuming that Org heeds that variable).
> But beware: futzing with that variable might get you in trouble
> elsewhere!

Yeah it seems so.  That was the first idea I tried and it bit hard my
LaTeX exporting from org-mode. :-(

But I think it should be possible to specify a different shell only for
certain source blocks.  Please consider the customisation variable

   org-babel-shell-names => ("sh" "bash" "zsh" "fish" "csh" "ash" "dash"
   "ksh" "mksh" "posh")

it is possible to modify (amend?) the list of shells but I just can't
find where and how to "define" such a new "shell".

By the way

  #+begin_src shell
  echo $0
  #+end_src

seems to call MS com but

  #+begin_src sh
  echo $0
  #+end_src

an MSYS2 shell /usr/bin/sh...

> In general, I'd say people who publish such blocks that assume a Posix
> shell are to blame, not your Emacs setup.  I find such blocks
> frequently posted without a lot of thought, just because it "WFM".

Probably, I don't want to publish the blocks.  They are intended as a
mixture of documentation for myself and automated scripting for building
Emacs.

Thank you for your interest

  Dieter
--