Re: (bounds-of-thing-at-point 'number) ⇒ nil

From: tomas
Subject: Re: (bounds-of-thing-at-point 'number) ⇒ nil
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2022 14:20:47 +0100

On Fri, Feb 04, 2022 at 03:47:19PM +0300, Jean Louis wrote:

> (require 'thingatpt)
>
> 123
>  ^
>
> when    I   place    cursor   there    under   number    2,   and
> evaluate (bounds-of-thing-at-point  'number) I get result  nil. I
> am expecting to get the bounds.
>
> When I evaluate (thing-at-point 'number) then I get see result being 123.

Note that number isn't among the things mentioned in the function doc of
`bounds-of-thing-at-point'. It is, however in that of `thing-at-point'.

So the behaviour you describe is surprising, but it is documented :)

Perhaps both functions might want to get reconciled with each others.
But perhaps there is a deeper reason their "things" lists differ.

Cheers