Re: How to *properly* set up Emacs on Windows?

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: How to *properly* set up Emacs on Windows?
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 22:05:51 +0100

On Wed, Feb 09 2022, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> In order
>> to use it inside Emacs, I add "C:/Program Files/Git/usr/bin" to `exec-path`
>> (it's not in my system path). Does that make sense?
>
> Yes: don't do that!  Git/usr/bin is a directory where MSYS2 programs
> used by Git are kept; you do NOT want them on your exec-path.

Gotcha. I've now added C:\Program Files\Git\cmd\bin to Path, though, because it
seems magit needs it. (That may be a bug, but that's a topic for another forum.)

I also switched to the MinGW Emacs from MSYS2, to make it easier to use other
MinGW tools from within Emacs.

Thanks for your help.

--
Joost Kremers