Re: [External] : Re: Would there be a drawback of using the same graphic

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: Would there be a drawback of using the same graphical toolkit on every platform?
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 14:09:58 +0300

* Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> [2022-02-20 03:22]:
> Drew Adams wrote:
>
> > (Not a reply to any particular msg in this thread.)
> >
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lumpers_and_splitters
>
> So there are lumpers and splitters ...
>
> I'm a lumper!

Lumper wrote the article, now you tend to agree. People can't be put
in two groups. One can only take one specific narrow context, and
judge from a point of view that one side is lumper oder splitter.

If we are to judge you to be lumper... you are far from that. You
would not be on this mailing list if you would generally be a
lumper. Why? You are pedantic in every detail, you correct smallest
nitpicks just like Drew. There is general tendency in Emacs society to
go rather towards "splitters" group. Lumpers don't participate much in
discussions.

> Lumpers recognize things when they see them and have no
> problem accepting that reality cannot be approached as an
> exact science.
>
> Meanwhile, splitters are neurotic, by-the-book legalists who
> rely on human-formulated definitions - imperfect by nature,
> tendentious in character ...
>
> Yeah, that's a good definition, right?

It's another lumper made definition. 🙂

I don't see it that way. Intelligence is very related to
distinction. The higher ability to distinguish, probably there is more
intelligence. Lumpers could or may see that distinction is not
necessary in specific subject, it does not mean they cannot
distinguish. But it could be.

> But wait, didn't I just do the splitter thing?

Labeling of people groups generally is not useful. But practically and
in specific context it can be very useful.

Do you see this letter A and A? Are they same? They look same but they
are not same, as they must be saved in quite different locations by
different impulses which are not same. They look same to observer as
that is what observer learned "to be same". Observer is always to some
degree both lumper and splitter.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns