Re: Help for tpu-edt Legacy Users

From: Richard Wordingham
Subject: Re: Help for tpu-edt Legacy Users
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 15:28:53 +0000

On Sun, 20 Feb 2022 14:53:07 +0200
Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> > Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 11:34:52 +0000
> > From: Richard Wordingham <richard.wordingham@ntlworld.com>
> >
> > For a legacy user who has been happily using the TPU-EDT key
> > bindings, buffers and replacement commands for decades, where
> > should I put the now removed tpu-edt and tpu-extras packages?
> > (There are three files - tpu-mapper.el is not to be forgotten.)
> > Should they just go in directory site-lisp, or maybe lisp/obsolete?
> >  I've currently put the versions from Emacs 26.3 in
> > ~/.emacs.d/obsolete, and tpu-edt.el (the only one I've been using)
> > is so far working fine in Emacs 28.0.91.  I'm currently explicitly
> > of Emacs.
>
> These files were not removed yet, they are in lisp/obsolete.

Ah, I misinterpreted the problem in my .tpu-keys, a file tpu-edt users
are commanded to create on first use.  The problem was that the line

(define-obsolete-variable-alias 'GOLD-map 'tpu-gold-map "23.1")

had been deleted from tpu-edt.el since 26.3. The file .tpu-keys makes
frequent reference to it.  Mine's picked up a lot of tweaks over the
years to make it work on VT100, Sun and Windows keyboards for directly
connected terminals and X-servers.  I've therefore given it the guarded
work-around

  (if (and (functionp 'version<=) (version<= "28.0.91" emacs-version))
      (define-obsolete-variable-alias 'GOLD-map 'tpu-gold-map "23.1"))

I need it to work as far back as Emacs 20.2, which I thinks predates
the function version<=.  I'd really like it just to check for GOLD-map
not being defined as a variable, but I couldn't find the syntax for
that.

Richard.