Re: no to war in Ukraine

From: Christopher Dimech
Subject: Re: no to war in Ukraine
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2022 10:51:49 +0100

----- Christopher Dimech
Administrator General - Naiad Informatics - Gnu Project

Society has become too quick to pass judgement and declare someone
Persona Non-Grata, the most extreme form of censure a country can
bestow.

In a new era of destructive authoritarianism, I support Richard
Stallman.  Times of great crisis are also times of great
opportunity.  I call upon you to make this struggle yours as well !

https://stallmansupport.org/
https://www.fsf.org/     https://www.gnu.org/

> Sent: Sunday, February 27, 2022 at 8:53 PM
> From: "Alexandre Garreau" <galex-713@galex-713.eu>
> To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org, "Po Lu" <luangruo@yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: no to war in Ukraine
>
> Le dimanĉo, 27-a de februaro 2022, 9-a horo kaj 5:42 CET Po Lu a écrit :
> > Alexandre Garreau <galex-713@galex-713.eu> writes:
> > > So I propose to abandon the topic, unless some webmasters or
> > > maintainers have desire to follow the consensual and comforting trend
> > > of putting their flag anywhere in sign of support.  That’d be in line
> > > with our ideas of freedom.
> >
> > The GNU project doesn't have any political opinions aside from that of
> > the free software movement.  I hope that includes not taking sides on
> > the conflict in the Ukraine, or otherwise I will not be able to continue
> > working on Emacs.
>
> Why require so hardly such neutrality? I mean other projects did so by the
> past (like
> supporting uyghurs or dunno, other geopolitical stuff) and that doesn’t stop
> from software
> freedom or contribution… to me that’s alike people stating anything personal
> (like «i like
> pasta», or dunno) or humor or what in projects: at least it makes it
> (nonpermanently) more
> personal and identifiable, maybe it even can increases contribution.

The Chinese Communist Party is avoiding criticizing Russia's invasion of
Ukraine.  It is
therefore unsurprising to encounter such propaganda here.