Re: trapping process filter error in a thread

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: trapping process filter error in a thread
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2022 02:50:58 +0200

Thien-Thi Nguyen wrote:

>>> Can anyone else reproduce this on their Emacs? (Obviously
>>> your Emacs has to be built w/ thread support.)
>>
>> What are threads in this context and how do you build Emacs
>> for that
>
> Threads are the "mini process" abstraction supported by
> modern operating systems (in various ways):

Okay, so we are talking Unix. A process is a program in
execution, a thread is a virtual lightweight process
implemented as a process segment.

I thought Emacs maybe had its own threads ...

>   --without-threads       don't compile with elisp threading support
>
> which makes me think that thread support is enabled unless
> you explicitly disable it. (TLDR: Maybe your Emacs already
> has it!)

Hm ... I wonder what kind of support that is exactly?

>> What's a process filter?
>
> It's the function that manages the output of a subprocess

OK!

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal