Re: Xref/tags/lsp possible bug

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Xref/tags/lsp possible bug
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 17:48:08 -0400

> As for the reason why: my guess is that the protocol was designed as
> a common ground for a number of existing code assistance libraries/tools
> already developed within Microsoft, rather than something from a blank
> slate, and those are inevitably biased toward a particular UI.

Indeed, the protocol has a fairly strong "ad-hoc" feel to it.
It doesn't cleanly separate the UI from the rest.  For example, a lot of
presentation choices are actually made in the server rather than in
the client.

It's also reflected in the name of requests like "hover" which
fundamentally asks for information related to some position in the code,
but encodes the idea that this information will be presented as popup
boxes as the mouse "hovers" over that location.

        Stefan