Help with python ide

From: Neal Becker
Subject: Help with python ide
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 07:47:45 -0400

I've been using emacs since 1980s and python for about as long as it's
existed.  While I get by, I'd like some more modern ide features.  I've read
about lsp and eglot.  I'm trying out eglot and it seems nice for python mode
source files.  But I also want support in python shell mode.  Specifically,
after starting a python shell (e.g., in python mode with eglot there is a
top menu python/interpreter/python3) we now have an buffer for interactive
python, but no help for eglot.  I'd like to at least have completions.

It seems if I add
(add-hook 'after-init-hook 'global-company-mode)

now I have completions in python shell mode.  These completions seem
minimal, no way I can see to get documentation (eldoc).

Long story short: any simple way to get a modern ide for python that
supports both usage in the python source file and support for completions
and documentation in python shell?

Note: In the past I've used ipython3 for python shell and then you can
always get doc by typing "symbol?".  It seems ipython3 isn't working when
started from python/interpreter/ipython3.  Instead the cursor jumps
erratically to some tmp buffer and displays error messages.

Thanks,
Neal