Re: Netiquette is way to go

From: goncholden
Subject: Re: Netiquette is way to go
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2022 13:17:21 +0000

------- Original Message -------
On Monday, June 13th, 2022 at 11:48 PM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> > Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2022 09:18:24 +0000
> > From: goncholden goncholden@protonmail.com
> > Cc: Po Lu luangruo@yahoo.com, Eli Zaretskii eliz@gnu.org,
> > help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> >
> > I asked how to stop the removal of tabs from previous line after hitting
> > return. The previous line was legacy code I did not want to touch. Had no
> > idea about electric-indent. The "help" I got was that of Eli, bragging
> > about how powerful and customisable emacs is and how it does not make sense
> > disabling automatic indentation.
>

> Lies and insinuations.
>
> Anyone who wants an independent opinion of my "help" is invited to
> read the archives of this thread.

Is telling me that disabling automatic indentation does not make sense a lie
too ???

> > Even though mentioning electric-indent-mode would have solved my problem so
> > that I can continue with what I need to do.
>

> You never explained your problem well enough for me to understand that
> the problem was with the previous line. You talked about pressing TAB
> that mysteriously caused tab characters to be deleted, and about your
> need to have TAB insert a literal tab character.

Go read the archives !  The problem was with the previous line.  Then I started
trying to insert multiple literal tabs, which were getting removed even when
using literal tabs with `C-q TAB`.

There is no point to continue arguing over it.  Asking to disable something is
not nonsense.  Your precept about choosing another editor prevented you from
appreciating the validity of my assertions.  I could be more pragmatic and
harshly critical of certain strategies, but of help to you and the project if
we can laugh it off whilst still taking the technical comments on-board.