Re: Emacs help from terminal

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Emacs help from terminal
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2022 08:34:35 +0300

* Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> [2022-06-15 17:17]:

>     Samuel> Wow, that's awesome, I never knew this about 'C-z' and 'fg'
> keybinding
>     Samuel> commands to be able to suspend Emacs.
>
>     Samuel> That's super cool, thanks for this, putting this in my notes as I
>     Samuel> usually use GUI Emacs but this would be cool on headless terminal
>     Samuel> boxes.
>
> Just wait until you realize you can run a shell inside emacs, so you
> never need to suspend it :-)

There are different needs and possible reasons for suspending a
process and bringing it back to background.

When process is suspended, it is paused. Emacs does nothing in
background, it has stopped. Its execution has stopped. If there are
processes in Emacs they have been paused.

This is totally different to invoking a program from within Emacs or
from shell within Emacs. I also do not see how suspending process is
related to invoking shell in Emacs.

You maybe think that the only use of suspending Emacs is to run some
other command in shell.  Certainly one can do that. But suspending
stops the Emacs process, it does not let it run. There may be quite
different reasons for stopping a process.

Example on my side is that Emacs handles continuous running database
processes, and I need to suspend Emacs as to observe logs, while
process is suspended. Then I may need to resume the process. Such
processes must be separate as Emacs due to its threads handling blocks
any activities while running such processes. I may need to halt them
during the review of what process is doing. And I do not want a
process to terminate. I want to be able to continue with it later in
time.

Another issue in your consideration of invoking program from within
shell of Emacs, is that if you invoke process from Emacs shell, when
Emacs is stopped, that other process is also killed as child process
from Emacs.

That is quite different than having separate process from within the
shell that is not dependant on Emacs.

And one may have multiple Emacs processes stopped or resumed, and
running in the shell in the same time, not being dependant on each
other.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns