Re: completing-read depricated initial-input

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: completing-read depricated initial-input
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2022 05:46:09 +0200

Po Lu wrote:

>> I agree that there are cases where INITIAL-INPUT still has
>> its place, but as I said, I remember the reason for phasing
>> it out was different than stylistic preferences.
>
> What other reason can there be? I can't think of any
> non-stylistic reason to discourage using that argument.

Maybe stop thinking about it and instead let your subconscious
figure it out for you?

Anyway this is what I think is the best interface:

(let ((name "Danger"))
  (read-string (format "name: [%s] " name) nil nil name) )

You then see:

name: [Danger] _

So if you hit RET you get the default (the suggestion), i.e.
"Danger", if you print you print and if you want to edit
"Danger" hit M-n and it's inserted only pint isn't moved.

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal