Re: Background color in SVG display

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Background color in SVG display
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2022 19:06:28 +0300

> From: Pascal Quesseveur <pquessev@gmail.com>
> Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2022 17:43:01 +0200
>
> >"EZ" == Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
>   EZ> We did make changes in how SVG images are handled wrt their
>   EZ> background, so if you think the new behavior is a bug, feel free
>   EZ> to submit an Emacs bug report.  (Your version of librsvg also
>   EZ> matters.)
>
>   As I said I use windows version compiled from GNU. librsvg is
> version 2.2.

2.2?  Are you sure?  That sounds very old.  The latest stable version
is 2.56, AFAIK.

>   I didn't say there was a bug. I was wondering if this was the
> expected behavior and if there was a way to change this color. I think

I cannot reproduce the problems you describe, but I'm not the expert
on displaying SVG images.  If you report a bug, it will be looked at
by people who are experts.  There's no need to worry about reporting a
bug which eventually turns out not to be a bug.

> I've read that the background color could be set with the font's
> background color, but if that's the case, that clearly doesn't work
> for me.

AFAIU, in Emacs 28 and later you should be able to give a face text
property to the part of the buffer that displays SVG image(s), and the
background color of that face will be honored by the SVG display,
provided that (a) your librsvg is recent enough, and (b) the SVG image
itself doesn't specify a background color.