Re: How to persist registers across sessions?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: How to persist registers across sessions?
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2022 19:01:06 +0300

> Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2022 17:33:47 +0300
> From: Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> > Is anything wrong with using desktop-save-mode?
>
> For me that is so little useful. Imagine having 2-3 windows and
> particular flow, but also other 100 buffers. User may wish to save
> that visible window configuration and not all of the buffers
> available inside of Emacs.

Knock yourself out, if you want, but I think you underestimate the
problem before you.  E.g., how can you save just the window
configuration without also saving which files were visited by each of
the window, where was the point in each buffer, what were your local
variables and minor modes, perhaps the mark position in each buffer,
maybe the last search string etc.?  desktop.el has all of that already
figured out, and gives you useful customization variables to decide
what you'd like to save/restore.

> desktop-save is so much complex in its operation. I do not use it
> for that reason.

I wonder why it matters how complex the software is if it does the
job.  Emacs itself is orders of magnitude more complex than
desktop.el, but you still use it to your benefit, as do I and everyone
else on this list.