Re: Change in 28.1 in opening a file from grep results on Windows

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Change in 28.1 in opening a file from grep results on Windows
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2022 19:22:32 +0300

> From: Pascal Quesseveur <pquessev@gmail.com>
> Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2022 17:36:50 +0200
>
> To verify file existence in compilation-find-file, emacs calls
> file-truename instead of expand-file-name (version 27.1). In my case
> the later is better, but I am not aware of all the possible cases.

The reason for the change is described in bug#8035, which is even
nastier than this one.  So we cannot possibly go back to the old code
there.

It is IME unusual to use literal UNCs in serious development on
MS-Windows, precisely because cmd.exe doesn't support that well, and
various commands will fail depending on how you invoke them and what
is the working directory when you do.  Wherever I saw networked drive
used it was always via mapping them to a drive letter, and for a good
reason.

So I still think this is the right solution, not even a workaround,
because the same problems will happen outside Emacs if you use cmd.exe
as your shell.