Re: Ektending rainbow-delimiters to colour {}

From: tomas
Subject: Re: Ektending rainbow-delimiters to colour {}
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2022 11:45:44 +0200

On Tue, Jul 19, 2022 at 11:31:48AM +0200, carlmarcos@tutanota.com wrote:

> Jul 19, 2022, 08:39 by tomas@tuxteam.de:
>
> > On Tue, Jul 19, 2022 at 10:21:15AM +0200, carlmarcos@tutanota.com wrote:
> >

> >> Jul 19, 2022, 07:34 by tomas@tuxteam.de:
> >>

> > [...]
> >>

> > Nearly.
> >
> > Dig deeper: what could that "syntax" thing mean? Did you read on syntax
> > classes in the manual? Does this answer your question?
> >
> I have read.  Looks as if emacs has internal functionality to determine start
> and end of elisp
> expressions, which rainbow-delimiters relies of.  It does actually also
> follow [], not so for {}.

Read again:

  The “syntax class” of a character describes its syntactic role.  Each
  syntax table specifies the syntax class of each character.  There is no
  necessary relationship between the class of a character in one syntax
  table and its class in any other table.

So whether { resp } have the syntax class symbolised by ( resp. ) depends
on how you set up your syntax class table. Major modes set that up to match
the expectations of the language in question. In theory you could even set
# . up as opening and closing parentheses whenever it makes sense.

The answer is: Emacs _already does_ what you want.

Cheers