help-gnuzilla

Re: Strange change in Icecat.

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Strange change in Icecat.
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2022 22:57:55 -0500

  > Indeed it is the Content-Disposition header that would be the culprit.
  > However, assuming no invasive changes by Icecat (I use Firefox, not
  > Icecat), the Icecat update should not have caused the problem here.
  > Maybe the server administrators changed their configuration, so now it
  > is sending the "attachment" Content-Disposition where it wasn't before,
  > the timing is merely coincidental?

I have no way of knowing. but I'd be surprised if they had
intentionally set up their podcast to play in a nonstandard way.  The
episode whose URL I sent you was last week's, and last week ot played
the old way.  Yesterday it played the new way.

Can you get an older Icecat and use it to play that same podcast episode?

  > There is the opportunity to use a hack in the form of a bookmarklet to
  > use as a workaround.  I have created a bookmarklet and confirmed that it
  > works, but bookmarklets are hard to share.  So refer to the page:

I don't know what a bookmarklet is -- could you tell me?

Is this workaround supposed to operate for all pages on that site?

  > I'm unsure how well it works if the server is configured to look at
  > referrers on media requests and reject the request if it originates
  > off-site.

I don't know what that means -- I am lost.

  > Another pitfall is that the bookmarklet will _only_ work if you
  > activate it from a new tab.

That's how I do it.  I follow the link that comes in an email.