'cutmem' != kernel 'mem'

From: Alexey Kuznetsov
Subject: 'cutmem' != kernel 'mem'
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2021 10:00:45 +0300

Hello!

I have an old notebook with a bios memory bug, to boot it successfully I
had to pass mem=2000M to the kernel, otherwise it will start work suuuuuper
slow, 10-50x times slower.

Same problem with grub - to start it takes 60 seconds and every second in
the countdown timer lasts for 5 or more.

Recently I discovered the 'cutmem' command but it has a lack of
documentation and is not working as excected. When I issue 'cutmem 2000M
2040M' grub still works very slow and it does not fix the performance
problem. Can anyone suggest another solution?

BTW grub-legacy works fast!

https://linux-hardware.org/?probe=59b41381ed

-- AK