help-gsasl

Using gsasl_encode/decode()

From: Kevin J. McCarthy
Subject: Using gsasl_encode/decode()
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2021 10:31:46 -0800

Hello!

I'm looking into the possibility of adding gsasl library support for my project (Mutt). Currently, we are using cyrus-sasl, but due to some potential license issues (I was previously unaware of), I think it would be good to add support for a GPL compatible library.

To be clear, I haven't touched the sasl code in Mutt all that much, and I'm far from comfortable with it, but I'm just starting to take a look. :-)

In Mutt's cyrus-sasl implementation, after authentication occurs, Mutt will add a layer over the socket that calls sasl_decode() for reads and sasl_encode() for writes; though I've never been clear why this is necessary.

I see there are functions gsasl_encode() and gsasl_decode() in libgsasl that might be for the same purpose. However, there is scant documentation about the functions and no mention in the examples in the manual. In the source, it looks like only gssapi/mechinfo.c and digest-md5/mechinfo.c fill in values for the client encode/decode members.

Is it correct practice to use those functions after authentication for libgss too? If they are optional, then is there a way to disable needing to use them via a property or something?

Thank you,

-Kevin