help-gss

libgss1 -> libgss2 transition?

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: libgss1 -> libgss2 transition?
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 15:52:20 +0100

I'm considering breaking backwards compatibility in libgss1 in order to
change this prototype:

extern int
gss_decapsulate_token (const gss_buffer_t input_message,
                       const gss_OID token_oid,
                       char **dataptr, size_t * datalen);

into

extern int
gss_decapsulate_token (const gss_buffer_t input_message,
                       const gss_OID token_oid,
                       gss_buffer_t data);

which is a better prototype (more GSS-API-like), and more importantly,
aligns with Heimdal (MIT doesn't have this API at all).  Applications
wouldn't have to separate between GSS and Heimdal when using this
interface.

Given that libgss1 in debian doesn't have any reverse dependencies
(yet), to me this sounds like a quite simple library transition.  I just
need to rename the libgss1 package to libgss2 and make things build (the
gettext patch we use needs some adjustment).

Russ, do you see any problem with this?  I wouldn't be able to do the
upload of a NEW package, so I would need your help with that.  I know we
are late in the release cycle of squeeze, but I don't think this affects
anyone but these packages, and I'm committed to fixing any issues
rapidly.

/Simon