Re: Wired networking problems after guix system reconfigure

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Wired networking problems after guix system reconfigure
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2016 09:59:25 +0100

Chris Marusich <address@hidden> skribis:

> Can I pin my system to a specific kernel version without modifying the
> files in my local guix git repository?

Of course!  :-)

> Here's why I want to do this. By using git bisect, I've determined that
> the following change introduced the regression I mentioned in my
> previous email:
>
> 6b0d24b gnu: linux-libre: Update to 4.4.
>
> This change updated linux-libre from 4.3.3 to 4.4, so the problem was
> introduced somewhere inbetween.
>
> As a temporary workaround, I've added a linux-libre-4.3 variable to the
> (gnu packages linux) module in my local guix git repository, which
> allows me to use that variable in my GuixSD system configuration
> file. This is basically the same thing that was done in commit adddd5b,
> in which a linux-libre-4.1 variable was added to enable Libreboot X200
> users to work around a different known kernel regression [1].

Perfect.  To avoid modifying files in the Guix tree itself, you could
put this ‘linux-libre-4.3’ in a module of its own that you keep in
$GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH, just for your own uses.

Now, if the regression is serious and widespread, you might want to
start an argument on guix-devel as to whether we should provide this
particular kernel version in Guix proper.

Thanks,
Ludo’.