Re: Guix/GNU/Linux multi distro + GuixSD multi-site scenario

From: myglc2
Subject: Re: Guix/GNU/Linux multi distro + GuixSD multi-site scenario
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2016 13:18:08 -0400

Christopher Allan Webber <address@hidden> writes:

> myglc2 writes:
>
>> Christopher Allan Webber <address@hidden> writes:
>> [...]
>>>
>>> Running all machines, I dunno.  I do dual-boot Debian and GuixSD with
>>> them sharing the same user profile and store.
>>
>> Dual boot. Now that is cool!
>
> Dual booting allowed me to switch to GuixSD a lot more feasibly than I
> could have otherwise.  I installed it on this laptop right before a 3
> month trip.  Dual booting meant that when something wasn't in GuixSD
> yet, no problem, I could switch to Debian for a bit.  Then I could work
> on packages at my leisure to switch over.
>
> The trick was realizing that the grub that Guix generates wasn't the one
> I should boot into... I needed to have Guix and Debian generate their
> own grub files on their own partitions, and then have a /boot/ grub
> which was reeeeaally small and simply had menu options to import those
> other grub files.

Neat!. Normally grub would be installed like this...

  (bootloader (grub-configuration (device "/dev/sda")))
  (file-systems (cons (file-system
                        (device "/dev/sda1")
                        (title 'device)
                        (mount-point "/")
                        (type "ext4"))
                      %base-file-systems))

But it sounds like you are installing a custom /boot/grub in
/dev/sda. So where is the GuixSD Grub and /?

I am very interested in your GuixSD vs Guix/Debian experience.  I have
run GuixSD and Guix/Debian over the last two months on my headless
servers. Initially I installed GuixSD because I wanted the "full monty."
Then I put Guix/Debian because I wanted to understand the difference
between GuixSD and Guix/GNU/Linux.

Finally I caught on to the Guix strategy of installing as
little-as-possible in the system profile (using Debian package manager
or Guix System Configuration). If one follows this approach, it seems to
me that there is very little difference between GuixSD and Guix/Debian,
except that Debian has better hardware support and so is more likely to
install w/o issues.

Do you see it that way or am I missing something?