Re: Typing on GuixSD in languages other than English

From: Chris Marusich
Subject: Re: Typing on GuixSD in languages other than English
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2016 17:26:48 -0700

Chris Marusich <address@hidden> writes:

> address@hidden (宋文武) writes:
>
>> Chris Marusich <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm using GuixSD v0.10.0 with GNOME.  I'd like to be able to type in
>>> Japanese.  I can already display Japanese text without issue because
>>> I've installed fonts that contain Japanese characters; however, I cannot
>>> figure out how to enable Japanese input.
>>>
>>> In the past, I've done this for other GNU/Linux distributions.  I recall
>>> that the process was a little complicated.  Has anyone set up Japanese
>>> language (or any other non-English) input for GuixSD?  I'm going to look
>>> into this regardless, but if someone has already jumped through the
>>> hoops, I'd love to hear about how you did it.
>> There're fcitx and ibus as input method frameworks, I think we just need
>> to package anthy, ibus-anthy and fcitx-anthy.
>
> Thanks for confirming that the necessary work hasn't been done yet.
> Those package names sound familiar.  I'll see if I can get any of them
> packaged and working!  Thanks.

The attached patches add anthy and ibus-anthy.  They build OK.  However,
Japanese input is not yet working for me.  In fact, ibus itself does not
seem to be working at all.

How can I verify that ibus is working on its own?  I've tried installing
ibus by itself into my profile.  When I do this, I can run ibus-setup,
and I see a "Japanese" language input option.  This is true even when
anthy and ibus-anthy are not installed, which surprised me. I had
expected to find no Japanese language input options at all in ibus-setup
when anthy and ibus-anthy are not installed.

In GNOME, there is no ibus menu visible anywhere on my screen, so it is
unclear whether ibus is actually working.  When I open Gedit and press
<Super>+Space, my input method does not seem to change.  According to
ibus-setup, this hotkey should change my input method.  However, it
seems like ibus is just not working at all.

--
Chris