Re: After installing Java, what should I set JAVA_HOME to?

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: After installing Java, what should I set JAVA_HOME to?
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2016 16:13:00 +0100

Zachary Kanfer <address@hidden> writes:

> But I started the gradle quickstart guide
> <https://docs.gradle.org/current/userguide/tutorial_java_projects.html>,
> and I've started running into problems. Right now I have $JAVA_HOME set to
> /home/zck/.guix-profile/, but I am suspecting that is not right. When I run
> `./gradlew clean`, I get the following error:
>
>     address@hidden:~/code/gradle-test$ ./gradlew clean
>     Downloading https://services.gradle.org/distributions/gradle-3.0-bin.zip
>
>     Exception in thread "main" javax.net.ssl.SSLException:
> java.lang.RuntimeException: Unexpected error:
> java.security.InvalidAlgorithmParameterException:
> the trustAnchors parameter must be non-empty

[…]

> [1] The manifest file to install javac is:
>
> (use-package-modules java)
>
> (packages->manifest
>  (list ;;java
>        icedtea
>        (list icedtea "jdk")))

You only need “(list icedtea "jdk")” here.  The “jdk” output of the
“icedtea” package includes the JRE, which is the only thing you get with
the standard output of “icedtea”.

Versions 6 and 7 of “icedtea” come with a build phase to generate a
keystore.  I’m using this successfully with “jgit”, which has to
validate SSL certs.

As to the value of JAVA_HOME: I only ever set it in Guix package
expressions, where it is set to the directory name of the store item for
the “jdk” output.

~~ Ricardo