Re: Custom kernel

From: David Craven
Subject: Re: Custom kernel
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2016 15:59:52 +0100

>> Currently ‘make-linux-libre’ is not public, but we could probably make
>> it public (David, WDYT?).  In the meantime, in your own module, you can
>> do.

> I think we should avoid exporting 'make-linux-libre' in its current
> form.  Although it was an improvement in some ways over what we had
> previously, I've found it to be an inadequate interface in many
> respects, and in my opinion it needs to be redesigned.  I don't have
> time to make a case now, but in practice it leads to redundancy.

I agree that there is room for improvement. But I don't think it's as
easy as it may seem...

> For example, when I recently added security fixes to linux-libre, I needed
> to add the patches in two separate places, and every time I update the
> version, I need to update two places as well.

I believe this was on purpose to avoid having to rebuild two kernels every time.

I was impatient to get this stuff into master because my linux libre
arm kernel wasn't building on the beagle bone black (not enough RAM).
I think some more patience could have made things better =P