Re: string-append plus package

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: string-append plus package
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2017 00:10:49 +0100

Hartmut Goebel <address@hidden> skribis:

> Am 31.12.2016 um 00:42 schrieb Ludovic Courtès:
>> Where does that string you want to build go to?
>
> As I already wrote in my initial mail, I need to reference the actual
> package output's path in some config-file within a system definition
> (e.g. gnu/system/examples/nginx.tmpl).
>
> So assume gnu/system/examples/nginx.tmpl to be:
>
> (use-modules (gnu))
> (use-package-modules networking web)
> (define NGINX (package-output (open-connection) nginx))
> (define TEST (string-append NGINX "/bin/nginxctl"))
>
> If "package-output" is not the correct solution, please tell me the
> correct one.

I think the discussion drifted a bit.  Your initial message mentioned
this use case:

        (nginx-service #:vhost-list
          (list (nginx-vhost-configuration
                 (root (string-append nginx "/share/nginx/html"))
                 (https-port #f)
                 (ssl-certificate #f)
                 (ssl-certificate-key #f))))

I explained back in November what I think should be done to fix this (as
in: allow you to write (file-append nginx "/share/nginx/html") above):

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2016-11/msg00161.html

Julien submitted a patch just before the holidays that nobody has taken
the time to review yet.  I’ll see if I can look at it tomorrow, but help
is always welcome!

Ludo’.