Incorrect Emacs UI on foreign distro (Ubuntu)

From: Chris Marusich
Subject: Incorrect Emacs UI on foreign distro (Ubuntu)
Date: Wed, 10 May 2017 00:16:20 -0700

Hi,

I've installed Emacs using Guix on a foreign distro (Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS,
to be precise).  When I start it from GNOME terminal via the following
command:

  emacs

it looks weird (see attached file "emacs-incorrect-ui.png") and lots of
warnings are printed to STDERR (see attached file
"emacs-incorrect-ui.log").  Please note that the output of "which emacs"
is:

  /home/marusich/.guix-profile/bin/emacs

which demonstrates that I am invoking the emacs installed via Guix.

However, when I start Emacs via the following command:

  env -u XDG_DATA_DIRS emacs

it looks correct (see attached file "emacs-correct-ui.png") and fewer
warnings are printed to STDERR (see attached file
"emacs-correct-ui.log").

The contents of XDG_DATA_DIRS are as follows:

XDG_DATA_DIRS=/usr/share/ubuntu:/usr/share/gnome:/usr/local/share/:/usr/share/:/var/lib/snapd/desktop

By process of elimination, I have determined that the presence of the
"/usr/share/" directory is the cause of this issue.  What I mean is that
when I invoke:

  env
XDG_DATA_DIRS=/usr/share/ubuntu:/usr/share/gnome:/usr/local/share/:/var/lib/snapd/desktop
 emacs

the UI looks the same (and the warnings are the same) as when I invoke:

  env -u XDG_DATA_DIRS emacs

What's going on here?  How can I resolve it?  I know that the
Guix-installed emacs is actually a wrapper which adds some values to the
environment variables, but I don't really understand why all these
warnings are being emitted, or why the UI looks weird.  I can work
around the issue by using a custom alias (to launch emacs with the right
combination of environment variables set), or by crafting a similarly
customized .desktop file, but it'd be great if Emacs's UI didn't look
weird by default on a foreign distro.

Oh, one last note: I tried installing pretty much every kind of GNOME-
or GTK-related theme I could find in Guix, but it didn't seem to help.
I also tried setting various environment variables like XDG_DATA_DIRS
and XDG_CONFIG_DIRS to point at (what I believe to be) the right places
in my profile (after installing the themes), but that didn't seem to
help, either.  The only way I was able to get rid of most of the
warnings was to start emacs as mentioned above.  If I'm just missing
some theme, please let me know what to install!

--
Chris