Re: Help getting started with first contribution

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Help getting started with first contribution
Date: Fri, 12 May 2017 07:52:37 +0200

Hi André,

> I've been using Guix and GuixSD recently and I'd like to contribute!

Excellent!

> However, I'm not familiar at all with mailing list workflows (this is
> the first mailing list I actually subscribed to), so I may need some
> guidance with that.

It’s pretty simple: you send an email to address@hidden (you will
get an automated reply with a bug identifier) and wait for someone to
comment.  If you need to make changes you just send email to the bug
address.

> I thought about starting by creating a Guix package for
> git-remote-gcrypt
> (https://spwhitton.name/tech/code/git-remote-gcrypt/). The package
> definition should be fairly simple, since the main program is just a
> shell script with no compilation dependencies.

Sounds good.  You may find that programmes using the GNU build system
are usually the easiest to package.  Sometimes simple shell scripts or
custom build systems make unrealistic assumptions about the system that
they are installed on, which makes the package definition a little more
complicated.

In the case of git-remote-gcrypt, for example, you will need to delete
the “configure” and “build” phases, set the “prefix” in a make-flag, and
create the target directories in an extra build phase.

> I'm looking forward to being part of this community.

We’d be happy to see you join us!

--
Ricardo

GPG: BCA6 89B6 3655 3801 C3C6  2150 197A 5888 235F ACAC
https://elephly.net