Re: Emacs-Guix 0.3.1

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Emacs-Guix 0.3.1
Date: Mon, 22 May 2017 19:25:02 +0200

Fox <address@hidden> writes:

>   Alex Kost wrote:
>
>> if you don't like to read "info", Emacs-Guix manual is available
>> online now:
>
>   https://alezost.github.io/guix.el/manual/latest/html_node/index.html
>

> html sure is better workable than the "info" format.

Actually, I think Info is superior, not least because of the index.  In
an Info reader (Emacs, for example) you can hit “i” and start typing a
concept.  A well-written manual will take you right to the section
explaining the concept, even if the exact phrase is not used in the
manual text.

For those who aren’t yet familiar or comfortable with Info readers work
is underway to add some JavaScript to HTML pages that can be generated
from the Texinfo sources.  The added scripts would provide similar
features as a traditional Info reader application.

Until then I really recommend learning a bit about Info and how to use
it.  It’s a really good system and generally provides better results
than a web search.

If there are concepts that are not in the index we welcome patches to
add them.

> But then, some GNU documentation suffers from lack of ability to explain
> things to folks who do NOT know it all already.
>
> case in point:
> https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_mono/eshell.html#Invocation

The Eshell documentation has long suffered from a lack of good
documentation, so I think it’s not a good example.  There are
some truly outstanding Info manuals in GNU.  It can be fun to browse
them in a local Info reader.

--
Ricardo

GPG: BCA6 89B6 3655 3801 C3C6  2150 197A 5888 235F ACAC
https://elephly.net