Re: Corrupt colours with X.org

From: Göktuğ Kayaalp
Subject: Re: Corrupt colours with X.org
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2017 03:07:18 +0300

On 2017-06-19 18:15 +03, Göktuğ Kayaalp <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 2017-06-19 13:27 +02, address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Göktuğ Kayaalp <address@hidden> skribis:
>>
>>> I have tried installing GuixSD on my machine, an old Asus laptop, and
>>> have completed the installation successfully.  But I had a problem with
>>> some applications in X.org: when I set a bg image, and opened an
>>> application (i.e. xterm), the colors of the bg image went weird, and
>>> looked pinkish-reddish.
>>
>> Could you take a screenshot and post it to this list (shrink the image
>> so that it’s ~300K max)?
>
> I had to switch to my previous OS for the moment.  I'll be able to retry
> installing in the coming days though---I'll report here if the problem
> persists or not---and also to debug if it persists as I'll have a spare
> machine handy.

I've been able to reproduce the issue, the linked video demonstrates
what happens [1].  When I open an xterm, the background becomes reddish,
the IceCat window has corrupt colours, wicd-gtk window has instead
correct colours.  The window manager is TWM, but the issue persists on
DWM too.  Find attached my configuration

[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZoPeoVPI8g

>> I’ve never heard of this kind of problem before.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Ludo’.
>
> Best,
>
>         gk.

;; Guix user

(use-package-modules admin aspell autotools base curl dns emacs gimp gnupg
                     gnuzilla image-viewers libreoffice linux lisp mail python
                     perl ruby password-utils pkg-config ssh suckless tex
texinfo
                     version-control video vim xiph xorg)

;; MISSING: bmake clamav spamassassin webalizer vorbisgain
aspell-dict-{hy,pt-pt,tr}
;; TODO: cron syncthing emacs
(packages->manifest
 (list
   ;; Desktop:
   twm xterm dmenu xrdb xmodmap setxkbmap xsetroot
   ;; Version control:
   rcs mercurial git cvs subversion
   ;; Programming languages
   python python-pip python-virtualenv perl ruby sbcl
   ;; Emacs:
   emacs-pdf-tools
   ;; Security:
   openssh gnupg pinentry
   ;; Networking & mail:
   icecat curl mailutils (list isc-bind "utils") tcpdump
   ;; Images:
   gimp feh
   ;; Multimedia:
   vorbis-tools
   ;; Dictionaries:
   aspell aspell-dict-it aspell-dict-fr aspell-dict-en aspell-dict-el
   aspell-dict-de aspell-dict-grc aspell-dict-es
   ;; TeX TODO:
   ;; biber
   ;; Documentation:
   texinfo
   ;; Utilities:
   vim gnu-make ntfs-3g password-store automake autoconf pkg-config
   youtube-dl))

;; Goktug's Operating System

(use-modules (gnu))
(use-service-modules desktop networking ssh)
(use-package-modules admin certs dns)

(operating-system
 (host-name "xi.bootis")
 (timezone "Europe/Istanbul")
 (locale "en_GB.utf8")

 (bootloader (grub-configuration (device "/dev/sda")))
 (swap-devices '("/dev/sda2"))
 (file-systems
  (cons*
   (file-system
    (device "/dev/sda1") (mount-point "/") (type "ext4")
    (needed-for-boot? #t))
   (file-system
    (device "/dev/sda5") (mount-point "/home") (type "ext4"))
   (file-system
    (device "/dev/sda6") (mount-point "/igk") (type "ext4")
    (create-mount-point? #t))
   %base-file-systems))

 (groups (cons* (user-group (name "g") (id 1993)) %base-groups))

 (users
  (cons*
   (user-account
    (comment "G K") (name "g") (group "g") (uid 1993)
    (create-home-directory? #f)
    (supplementary-groups '("users" "wheel" "audio" "video" "netdev"))
    (home-directory "/home/g"))
   %base-user-accounts))

 ;; Globally-installed packages.
 (packages (cons* wpa-supplicant-minimal nss-certs %base-packages))

 (services
  (cons*
   ;;(service nginx-service #:server-list
'("/home/g/cf/deb/etc/nginx/sites-enabled/goktug"))
   (service openssh-service-type (openssh-configuration (port-number 22)))
   %desktop-services)))